Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to install and use themes on Windows 8.
Installing normal and official themes
Any file that has .themepack or .deskthemepack file extension does not require you to install a new software.
- Download a theme that comes in default Windows 8 theme format (.themepack or .deskthemepack). For example Porsche theme
- Double click the downloaded theme file. Windows will apply your theme.
Installing custom and third party themes
Third party themes are usually more versatile and beautiful than default themes.
However, to use such themes, you need to install a small software first.
Follow these step-by-step instructions to install third party themes.
- Download and install this small software: UltraUXThemePatcher (don’t worry, there’s no virus in it. It’s completely harmless).
- Download a third-party theme. For example Elune
- Move the .theme file and other files and folders with it to
- Double click the .theme file to apply your new theme.
After you unzip the theme, it looks like this:
Once you have installed the UltraUXThemePatcher software, you can download and install as many third-party themes as you want by following the step 2 to 4 above instructions.